M. SHAFIQUR RAHMAN, PhD
Professor, ISRT, University of Dhaka; Research Consultant
- Ph.D in Medical Statistics
- Expertise on predictive models, causal inference, statistical methods for healthcare research, sampling and medical statistics.
- 14 years of research experience
- Provided a significant number of statistical consultancy service to various organizations.
- Has number of research publications
Shafiqur Rahman, Professor of Dhaka University at Institute of Statistical Research and Training, is one of the prominent statisticians in Bangladesh. He is an academician with 14 years teaching and research experiences in applied statistics. His research primarily focuses on development and applications of statistical methods for analyzing healthcare data in public health and medical research. He has professional skill on STATA, R, SPSS, WinBUG and GenSTAT. Shafiqur has been awarded with many research grants and scholarships. In addition to teaching and research, he is involved with statistical consultancy services for various organizations, editorial service for a journal, and as reviewer for many peer reviewed journals. Shafiqur has 26 publication of research article on different health issues. Some of his published article are listed below:
- Outcomes following the surgical management of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis Inter. J. of Cardiology, Vol 265: 62-70; 2008.
- Socio-demographic and geographical inequalities in under- and over nutrition among children and mothers in Bangladesh: a spatial modelling approach to a nationally representative survey. Accepted in Public Health Nutrition; 2008.
- A bivariate Bernoulli model for analyzing malnutrition data. Health Services Outcomes Research Method Vol 18(2): 109-127; 2008.
- A tutorial on GEE with application to diabetes and hypertension data from a complex survey. Journal of Biomedical Analytics Vol 1(1): 37-50; 2008.
- A comparison of internal validation methods for validating predictive model for binary data with rare events. Journal of Statistical Research Vol 51(2): 131-144; 2007.
Shafiqur completed his PhD in Medical Statistics from University College London (UCL), UK and M.Sc. in Statistics from University of Nottingham, UK. He is the co-editor of the Journal of Statistical Research and statistical consultant of International Journal of Cardiology. Shafiqur is the member of International Statistical Institute (ISI) and Bangladesh Statistical Association (BSA).