MATIUR RAHMAN, PhD
- PhD in Sociology
- Expertise in socioeconomic survey research of development interventions focusing on marginalized groups of peoples; migration and development; health, microfinance and gender-based violence
- 25 years of research experience
- Provided around 28 consultancy services to international and national NGOs, including UN agencies working in Bangladesh
- Has several research publications
- Writes columns on different socioeconomic and development issues in the national level Newspaper (both Bangla and English) and published around 200 write-ups.
Matiur Rahman is a Social Researcher with high academic background. He was involved in more than 28 research studies on different socioeconomic issues. He has extensive experience designing, developing and implementing the social survey and participatory research studies. His primary professional responsibilities include selecting appropriate methods for the research studies, designing and developing data collection instruments, data collection using structured and semi-structured survey questionnaires, data processing, data analysis, and report writing. Dr Rahman is also working on a project supported by a German NGO (Lichtbrücke e.V.) since 2007. He supervises, monitors and evaluates the development project activities of 7 partner NGOs in Bangladesh. He also imparts capacity-building training for project staff and project beneficiaries at the field level and motivational training among poor group women and credit borrowers on different socioeconomic issues. Dr Rahman has developed some modules and a training manual for microfinance staff. He also has experience in organizing workshops and seminars. He participated in a course on development policy at the University of Bonn in Germany in 2018. Dr Rahman has also awarded a ‘Diploma in Microfinance’ from the Institute of Inclusive Finance and Development (InM) in 2020. Besides, he has participated in many skill development training and Workshop.
Some major studies that he was involved in are as follows:
- Rahman, Matiur, et al. Program Monitoring– Borrower Visits, Dhaka: Conducted for Water.Org, Bangladesh by HDRC, 2021
- Rahman, Matiur, et al. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) survey and Focus group discussions, Dhaka: Conducted for IOM, Bangladesh by HDRC, 2017
- Rahman, Matiur. Nokshi Kantha in Creating Job Opportunity for Rural Poor Women, Social Science Research Council, Planning Division, Ministry of Planning, Government of the Peoples Republic Of Bangladesh, 2017.
- Rahman, Matiur, et al. Assess the Constraints to Promote Long Acting and Permanent Methods (LAPMs). Dhaka: Conducted for NIPORT, Bangladesh by HDRC, 2013
- Rahman, Matiur, Microcredit in Reducing Domestic Violence against Women: An analysis of a Bridge of Light Supported Credit Programme in Bangladesh. Dhaka: Conducted for Lichtbrücke e.V. Germany, 2012
- Rahman, Matiur, et al.Perception of Illness and Health seeking behaviour of five different ethnic groups in CHT. Dhaka: Conducted for UNDP, Bangladesh by HDRC, 2011
- Barkat, Abul, Rahman, Matiur, et al. Review of Social Barriers and Limitations of Village Court. Dhaka: Conducted for UNDP, Bangladesh by HDRC, 2010
Dr Rahman has completed his PhD in Sociology from the Institute of Bangladesh Studies (IBS), Rajshahi University, Bangladesh. He was born in Jhenaidah on 10th March 1972. He is married and the father of a son. He lives with his family in Dhaka. He loves reading, writing and travelling.